Tuesday 22 January 2019

January isn't for Wimps

Just felt like getting that out there. I've talked to a lot of people lately who get into a real slump after the holidays. I suppose that's only natural, but I think it's rather sad since life goes on whether we're happy about it or not. I always blame my lack of motivation and joyful living during January on the fact that I've mostly resided in the northern states where mountains, wind, rain, snow, sleet and hail abound during the winter months, and outdoor activities like skiing, snowmobiling and ice skating no longer hold any great appeal. Don't get me wrong, I love a good snowstorm, but after getting the driveway and sidewalks shoveled and watching the car exhaust turn the snowbanks a dirty brown, I'm ready for more sun. It just makes me feel good. 

So, I've spent a little time today thinking about what's actually good about the month. It's a definite change from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, which is a relief for most everyone. The nights are long so people can get extra sleep, if they're lucky. Shopping has lost most of its appeal so budgets are better maintained. There's extra time for self-reflection, if kids or grandkids aren't involved in all kinds of nighttime activities and want you there. Much of the outside work like lawn mowing and gardening has come to a halt, if one doesn't live in a warmer climate. Hot cocoa with marshmallows tastes great, especially when seated in front of a warm, inviting fire. And a leisurely bubble bath makes every trouble disappear, if only momentarily. 

Guess it's not such a bad month after all. At least I'm going to try to enjoy it more and complain less about the gloomy days and having to drive on snow-packed or ice covered roads. After all, it's my life, and I can do with it whatever I desire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment