Wednesday 25 September 2024

It's Been a Long Time

Like many of you, I'm sure these past few months have been filled with utter amazement, total disbelief and complete dismay as you try to figure out what is really going on when a sitting president can be removed from office without impeachment; a former president, whose candidacy has just been announced, is forced to undergo one indictment after another on witch hunt investigations whose only purpose is to bankrupt and force him to drop out; and when a woman whose own party had no faith in her ability to utter a simple sentence without turning it into a word salad no one could understand is suddenly crowned the Democratic nominee without so much as a single vote of confidence. 

It's like some dystopian novel where every law, social construct and individual liberty is under constant attack and the reader is left to wonder just how much time the innocent heroes and heroines have before the powerful elites and their cronies pull the final plug driving everyone but themselves into a life of servitude and utter misery. But I must admit that as bad as things are in our country right now with innocent people being victimized while the corrupt, vengeful haters go blithely about their privileged existence, I did find one strong ray of hope during my visit to see my sister a couple of weeks ago. It was positive proof that those who love God, country and family still exist. In America's heartland people are willing to speak their beliefs while so many individuals where I live fear for their safety should anyone learn they are Trump supporters. 

It shouldn't be like in a country whose Founding Father's recognized God's hand in forming a Constitution and Bill of Rights that were meant to ensure our continued liberties and freedom. Watching those precious gifts slip away as some Americans, and most of the illegals that have been let inside our country without vetting, demand more and more government support is truly horrifying. I hope it's only because those in power--along with the media, educational and entertainment support they have purchased and indoctrinated over the years--have simply brainwashed the masses. My belief is that the majority of Americans are still good, honest, hardworking, God-fearing individuals who love the flag and all it stands for and will vote their true conscience when the time for truth arrives.

I will admit that with all the violent unrest in our country I was somewhat hesitant to even get on a plane and fly into the outskirts of St. Louis, Missouri. The terrorists throughout our nation have been brought here and mobilized for a reason and they're getting antsy to do their worst to anyone who does not live in an ivory tower behind high fences and elaborate security systems. But I kept telling myself that God knows what is in store for us as individuals and our country as a whole. The scriptures put it very plainly as to what will happen in the days preceding Christ's return. And while I never thought I would live to see what is happening now, I need to accept the blessing of continued mortality since I obviously have further work to do before being called home. 

What an amazing surprise awaited as my sister and I left the freeway to enter Branson, Missouri. Opposite the first stop light was a Trump store selling memorabilia and it was packed. "That's new," I told my sister. "I wonder if the other one on Highway 76 is still there?" We drove a few miles further and the one we had visited the year before was packed with tourists too. For the first time in months, I felt like I was finally in a place where I could be myself without fearing retaliation of some kind. All along the strip were signs supporting Trump and men, women and children wearing Trump hats and other gear. Flags were flying, pedestrians were walking on the sidewalks and police cars were openly visible letting me know that I could feel safe here.

Our condo was the best one we'd found yet with a king-sized bed in each bedroom and plenty of room to spread out in the living area and enjoy the ambience. After unpacking, I blew up the cutest polkadot balloons while my sister hung a Happy Birthday sign over the fireplace. We'd decided the year before to start celebrating our November birthdays early since no one else seemed to care about giving us a party or even remembering that we were a year older. What fun it was to sing Happy Birthday to each other, make wishes, blow out candles, open presents and eat birthday cake while we talked about things only close sister would dare share. 

For eight glorious days, we slept later than usual, ate breakfast on the balcony, took our time getting ready for the day and only went to shows we really wanted to see. We took three pans filled with homemade cinnamon rolls to the theatre where our friends performed and spent time visiting with them along with those who worked behind the scenes and out front in the ticket and concession area. It was such fun, but my most touching memories are of the people we met who were part of the audience. An entire group of church ladies from Kansas City who were on a weekend retreat praised God for his goodness and mercy numerous times during one performance. There were four black women who for three days came to every show we did and we felt like sisters from the start. There were hugs, kisses and laughter each time we saw them, and they were always talking about God, country and family and our responsibility to make sure we didn't lose those great blessings. It was humbling being around women who were not afraid to proclaim their beliefs to anyone who would listen. 

And then there was a dear couple we had met the year before who was there for three days while we were. The husband would dance with three or four of us at a time so no one would feel left out, and his wife was just as gracious and loving as anyone could ever be. They helped me through the awkwardness of seeing once again the entertainer who dumped me as even a friend a year and a half earlier for not wanting to sleep with him. I'm still working on getting over that one because the guy in question likes playing mind games. He refuses to talk to me, but he'll dance an entire number during a show with me, hold me close, run his fingers around my back and smile at me like he used to while on stage. My sister says he's just trying to let me know what I missed out on by not giving him what he wanted. She's probably right, but his immature attitude still hurts.

Returning home was bittersweet. I was grateful my flight had not been cancelled, nor had anything major happened within our nation to disrupt our lives. But it's hard being basically alone again. I suppose my depressed state of mind made me more careless than usual because after picking vegetables and watering the garden and flowers I inadvertently left the hose running for 48 hours. I was horrified when I discovered what I had done and not the least bit happy to find out that some of the water had leaked into my family room in the basement. I soaked up as much as I could with every towel I had and wrung them out with hands that are no longer as strong as they once were before putting them in the washing machine. Then I went to Lowes and bought a vet/dry vacuum hoping it would suction out more of the water that was still on the concrete underneath the carpet. It didn't work like the advertisements proclaim, but thankfully the water only got as far as the sectional and rug in front of it. I've had the window open for 10 days now and if the weather holds there shouldn't be any mold. 

But what I still call my stupidity left me with a second dilemma. What was such a disheartening mistake going to cost, besides buying a vac that didn't really work with carpet? I called the city utility company but they couldn't offer any assistance until the meter was read sometime during the coming week. I poured over the city guidelines found online and was sickened to read that a running hose could fill between 9 and 17 gallon buckets a minute. At worst it was 1020 gallons per hour and mine had been running for 48. Using the cost per thousand gallons table, I tried to calculate how many gallons I had used the month before. From what I could determine I would owe an extra $220 at best and at worst an extra $500. I immediately shut off my AC and tried to decide what I could do without to help make up the difference. Living on a fixed income that is barely above the poverty level isn't easy but I knew God would help me. I just needed to exercise enough trust and go on living. 

I got a call from the utility company this morning saying the reading had been taken and it looked like I would only owe and extra ten dollars. My relief was palpable. I knew being gone for two weeks during the billing period would help offset my mistake but my sprinklers were still running three mornings a week. I told the sweet girl on the other end of the line that she had made my entire month. She assured me her information had come directly from the billing department, but if there was any discrepancy when the bill physically arrived to let her know. 

Our world might still be in a huge mess that could get much worse in the coming weeks, but I feel far more serene than I have for quite some time. God's tender mercies are all around us if we'll just open our eyes, minds and hearts to them. I pray every night and morning for President Trump and all the brave patriots who stand so faithfully beside him. I trust that God will keep him safe so he can help save our country from the tyrants who wish to destroy it. But I also know that if the unthinkable happens God is still in charge. This is a land of promise as long as we worship him. Many have chosen to do otherwise, but my trip to Branson let me know just how many honest, loving and spiritual people still exist and they have no intention of losing any more of their freedoms. 

I stand with them and each of you who love God, country and family as much as I do. My heart is filled to overflowing as I type my last words because I know God lives, Jesus is the Christ--our Savior and the Redeemer of all mankind. We can feel peace in a troubled world as we put our faith and trust in them and strive to be the best we can possibly be.


No comments:

Post a Comment